It’s such a privilege when you get ask to join a tour working with beautiful patterns and awesome bloggers so how can I possibly refuse? Plus, I’m a massive fan of Olga’s patterns since I’ve tested for her before with the Ania top / tunic and Wild and Free lounge pant
You can see my vintage inspired/upcycled version of the Ania here and my hacked sleeve version here. For the Wild and free lounge pant, I made a Kiss inspired version here and my rock chic version here
So for the tour, I decided to change it up a bit and make something for my son instead. Firstly, because he doesn’t get as many handmade clothes as Lil miss and secondly, he needs some clothes (LOL) … he’s had a bit of a growth spurt and suddenly nothing fits him anymore (poor fella) so I figured I better be a good mum and sew him some clothing before I get reported for neglect!
The Mulberry tunic was the perfect option being a unisex pattern for one thing (hehe) but I love how it’s such a great pattern to hack.
I decided not to size down for the t-shirt (so he can get more wear out of the top considering the current growth) but I did omit the button placket and remove the front split panel to create it as one whole bodice cut on a fold. For the back, I kept the yoke but removed the pleat and added ribbing for the neckline.
Then for short sleeve I took a larger hem and created a fold up cuff and removed the tab while for the hem, I kept the curved hemline.
Since the weather has really cooled down for autumn here (in Sydney Australia), I decided to make a jacket to pair with his t-shirt using the same mulberry tunic pattern.
For the jacket, I used a combination of quilted denim (which was such a pain to sew since it was lined with a sunsilky lining so it moves so much!) and Sarah Janes Magic Castle Plan cotton
I chose the long sleeve and hood option from the pattern, along with the inseam pockets (you have to have pockets for a jacket right?) For the front bodice panel, I extended it down to be a whole bodice panel along with extending the button placket rather than a split front bodice.
I kept the back yoke and pleat but rather then a box pleat, I created an inverted pleat due to the bulkiness of the quilted knit and I stitched it down an inch. Then to finish the jacket off, I added a faux seude binding to the neckline of the hood and brass press studs rather than buttons.
Finally for the hem, I created a high low hem (by accident really) but decided I quite like it so I made a split hem to show it off though technically the back hem should be the longer hem, but oh well it will have to do (smiley face)
I’m so please with how it all came together and the fit is just a fraction large on him but that was deliberate so that it can hopefully last him through to winter (fingers cross).
For more sewing inspiration, be sure to check out the other fabulous bloggers and you can also take advantage of the 20% off sale with the code “Coffeeandthreadtour” during the tour.